Now Playing
106.1 BLI
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
106.1 BLI

music

Categories within music

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

21 Savage provides free school supplies to over 2,500 students

More than 2,500 people lined up in the Georgia heat last week to share in the generosity of 21 Savage.

>> Man shot at back-to-school event attended by rapper 21 Savage

The Atlanta rapper hosted his third annual “Issa Back 2 School Drive” on Aug. 5 to benefit students from DeKalb County Schools. The event, which last year attracted about 700 people, outfitted students in grades K-12 with backpacks, shoes, uniforms and school supplies.

Kids and their families snaked along the sidewalk of the 285 Flea Mart off Glenwood Road in a shopping center the lanky “Whole Lot” rapper, 25, said he used to hang around as a teen. Many of the beneficiaries also received free haircuts and food from tents stationed in the parking lot.

It was a scene that made 21 Savage quietly proud.

>> Read more trending news 

“I might rap about a lot of stuff, but that’s just a reflection of what I’ve been through,” he said while seated in his manager’s truck a few feet away from the throng of fans. “In real life, everything I do, I want to bring everybody together. I want to give back to the community, help the kids, get them uniforms, books, book bags, everything they need ... just do better. That’s where it starts, the kids.”

U.S. Rep. Henry "Hank" Johnson, D-Georgia, and his wife, DeKalb County Commissioner Mereda Davis Johnson, also attended to check out the scene.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

The event and supplies were funded by 21 Savage and his Leading By Example Foundation. Other sponsors included City National Bank, Spotify, Epic Records and 10:22 p.m. Records.

During a recent appearance on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” 21 Savage launched a “Bank Account” campaign to help young adults learn financial responsibility and donated $1,000 to 21 kids in partnership with the nonprofit organization Get Schooled.

Read more here.

Carrie Underwood announces she’s pregnant with baby No. 2

Carrie Underwood and her husband, Mike Fisher, have a good reason her “Cry Pretty” 360 tour will not begin until next year. The superstar couple announced on Instagram in a series of videos Wednesday morning that Underwood is pregnant with baby number 2. 

>> Read more trending news 

The couple has one son, Isaiah, who was born in Feb. 2015, The Boot reported.

Fisher and Underwood married in July 2010. 

“Mike and Isaiah and I are absolutely over the moon and excited to be adding another little fish to our pond,” Underwood said in the video.

Related: Photos: Carrie Underwood through the years

Recently, the singer came under fire after she made comments in Redbook that she was worried about having more children naturally since she is 35 years old. 

In the interview, she said, “I’m 35, so we may have missed our chance to have a big family. We always talk about adoption and about doing it when our child or children are a little older.” 

Parents took to Facebook to speak out about her comment about her age. One said, “I’m 38 and just had a baby...She’s being ridiculous,” Us Weekly reported

Underwood’s “Cry Pretty” album drops next month. But the tour won’t start until May 2019, Underwood announced in the video. Tickets go on sale Aug. 17, and you get a copy of the album.

The tour will stop in cities all over North America, like Pittsburgh, Boston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Memphis, Tulsa and New York City. For more information on the “Cry Pretty” tour, click here.

Lady Gaga to launch Las Vegas residency at the end of this year

Lady Gaga announced an exclusive residency at Park Theater at the new MGM resort in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

The six-time Grammy winner, 32, will perform 27 shows. The singer’s little monsters can choose between two different performances: “Lady Gaga Enigma,” and “Lady Gaga Jazz & Piano.”

>> Read more trending news 

According to Ticketmaster, the Enigma show will center around Lady Gaga’s greatest pop hits, while the “Jazz & Piano” show will feature a stripped-down version of her songs, including music from The Great American Songbook. 

The first show is set to debut Dec. 28.

“I can’t wait to share “Enigma” with all of my fans and with Las Vegas. We’re creating a show unlike anything I’ve done before. It will be a celebration of all that is unique and different within us,” Lady Gaga said via Live Entertainment. “The challenges of bravery can be overcome with creativity and courage that is grown out of adversity, love and music.”

Pre-sale tickets go on sale on Wednesday and open to the general public starting August 13.

A limited number of VIP packages -- including meet and greets with the star -- will also be available. 

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that Gaga is expected to earn $400,000 for each performance, or $15 million over the course of the residency. 

“It’s the land of Elvis, Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra, the Rat Pack, Elton John, Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli. It has been a life-long dream of mine to play Las Vegas,” Gaga said in a news release. “I am humbled to be a part of a historical line-up of performers, and to have the honor of creating a new show unlike anything Vegas has ever seen before. I’ll tell you exactly what I told my MGM and Park Theater partners – you can count on this performer always for one thing…I’ll leave my heart on the stage every single night. Thank you to my fans for always believing in me. Meet me in Las Vegas baby, we did it!”

See all of Lady Gaga’s Las Vegas residency dates below:

LADY GAGA ENIGMA 

Dec. 28, 30 and 31

Jan. 17, 19, 24, 26 and 31

Feb. 2

May 30

June 1, 6, 8, 12 and 14

Oct. 17, 19, 23, 25 and 31

Nov. 2, 6 and 8

LADY GAGA JAZZ & PIANO 

Jan. 20

Feb. 3

June 2, 9

Demi Lovato speaks out after suspected drug overdose, vows to 'keep fighting'

Singer Demi Lovato took to Instagram on Sunday to release her first statement since she was hospitalized last month for a suspected drug overdose.

>> PHOTOS: Demi Lovato through the years

"I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction," wrote Lovato, who was found unresponsive at her home in Los Angeles' Hollywood Hills neighborhood on July 24. "What I've learned is that this illness is not something that disappears or fades with time. It is something I must continue to overcome and have not done yet."

>> Pop star Demi Lovato ‘awake and in stable condition’ after apparent drug overdose

The 25-year-old pop star continued: "I want to thank God for keeping me alive and well. To my fans, I am forever grateful for all of your love and support throughout this past week and beyond. Your positive thoughts and prayers have helped me navigate through this difficult time."

>> ‘Addiction is a terrifying disease’: Celebrities react to Demi Lovato’s reported drug overdose

She then thanked her family, team and hospital staffers at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she is being treated.

"Without them, I wouldn't be here writing this letter to all of you," Lovato wrote.

>> Read more trending news 

She added: "I now need time to heal and focus on my sobriety and road to recovery. The love you have all shown me will never be forgotten, and I look forward to the day where I can say I came out on the other side. I will keep fighting."

>> Read the full statement here

Jon Bon Jovi surprises patrons at Long Island supermarket

Shoppers at a New York supermarket were living on a prayer when rock ’n’ roll icon Jon Bon Jovi arrived Saturday morning to promote his new line of rosé wine that he created with his son, Newsday reported.

>> Read more trending news

Bon Jovi, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April, showed up at the Stew Leonard’s store in Farmingdale with his son, Jesse Bongiovi, and was led into the store by CEO Stew Leonard Jr., the newspaper reported.

"I'm just shopping," Bon Jovi joked.

Shoppers and staff at the Long Island store snapped pictures with Bon Jovi as he promoted his son’s wine company, Diving Into Hampton WaterWABC reported.

"It's just so exciting," shopper Cathy Smith, 57, told Newsday. " 'Living on a Prayer' is my song. I have goosebumps."

"We actually were coming for cookie dough," Lou Diaz, 43, of West Islip, told Newsday. "We talked to the lady over there, and she said, 'Oh, Bon Jovi's here,' and we didn't believe her. All of a sudden, everyone just started running. We were just trying to catch him wherever he went."

Diving Into Hampton Water is made in the Languedoc region in southern France and was launched earlier this year, Newsday reported. 

'N Sync's Lance Bass says he was outbid in effort to buy 'Brady Bunch' house

"Brady Bunch" fans, it's time to say "Bye Bye Bye" to your dreams of owning the iconic California home from the popular 1970s sitcom.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: ‘Brady Bunch’ house for sale

'N Sync singer Lance Bass tweeted Friday that he was buying the house made famous in exterior shots of the Brady home. It recently was listed for $1.885 million.

>> PHOTOS: Take a look inside the 'Brady Bunch' house

"Super excited to announce they accepted my offer on the #BradyBunch house last night!!!" Bass wrote. "This is going to be a fun project!"

But not so fast. A few hours after celebrating, Bass tweeted  he was “feeling heartbroken” when he apparently was outbid for the house, KABC reported. And -- Marcia, Marcia, Marcia -- Bass won’t be hosting actress Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia Brady in the series, for dinner any time soon.

Bass said he was told that another buyer -- perhaps a Hollywood studio -- was ready to buy the property “at any cost.”

Bass said after being told he was the winning bidder, he discovered that another buyer, possibly a Hollywood studio, was prepared to acquire the property "at any cost."

"They will outperform any bid with unlimited resources," he tweeted. “I'm hurt and saddened by this highly questionable outcome.”

According to the listing, the 2,477-square-foot home, located at 11222 Dilling St. in Studio City, California, features three bedrooms, three baths and a 12,500-square-foot lot.

>> Read more trending news 

"This iconic residence is reportedly the second most photographed home in the United States after the White House," the listing claims.

McCormick seemed pleased when she heard Bass had the high bid.

"Congratulations!" she tweeted to Bass. "May all your problems from here on out always be solved in a half hour." 

Ludacris bought a woman’s groceries, not knowing the struggles she’s had

Actor, restaurateur and rapper Chris “Ludacris” Bridges is a community-minded guy who’s one to get personally involved.

When his Ludacris Foundation pitched in during a campaign called Hunger Action Month, for example, he didn’t merely stroke a check to the Atlanta Community Food Bank and Feeding America. He rolled up his sleeves and taught kids at the Carrie Steele Pitts Home how to prepare healthy snacks. Then they all played games. In November he and then Mayor Kasim Reed teamed up to hand out turkeys at the Rosel Fann Recreation Center in south Atlanta.

>> Read more trending news 

"We need to be the change we so often talk about," Ludacris said at the time. "We need to reflect more, share more, and love more.”

He did all three this week, and his hands-on approach changed a woman’s life for the better. She happened to be behind him in line at the grocery store when her things mingled with his.

“I might as well get it,” he said.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

Then he ended up springing for her entire order, not knowing what a huge gesture it was. The shopper’s mom died during Hurricane Katrina and her husband died of brain cancer. She can’t usually afford to shop at Whole Foods - a friend gave her a gift card - and she was mostly buying food for her rescue animals.

After they shook hands and hugged, she asked the name of her benefactor. With all she’s been through, she didn’t recognize him right away.

“Just a guy,” he told her.

'In My Feelings' challenge fail: Florida man gets hit by car, gains viral fame

A Florida man has gained viral fame after his attempt at the "In My Feelings" challenge ended in an epic fail – a car hitting him.

>> Watch the video here

>> Millions fall for South Carolina dentist in viral ‘In My Fillings’ dance video

According to the Palm Beach Post, Jaylen Norwood, 22, of Boynton Beach, said he slipped as his friends were filming his take on the Internet craze, which involves dancing to Drake's "In My Feelings" after jumping out of a car. His spill sent him careening into the front of an oncoming car driven by a friend. Luckily, Norwood wasn't hurt, but the video took the internet by storm and landed him an interview with TV host Jimmy Kimmel.

>> Read more trending news 

Norwood's tumble isn't the only one documented in "In My Feelings" challenge videos. Safety concerns even prompted a National Transportation Safety Board official to speak out about the trend, also called the Kiki challenge. Nicholas Worrell, the board's safety advocacy chief, told the Blast last week that "jumping into lanes of traffic to show your dance moves is foolish and dangerous – to you and those around you."

Read more here.

Rapper Lil Wayne sends gifts to 49ers' coach and 'namesake' son

San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has remained coy about whether he named his son after the surname of rapper Lil Wayne.

However, the hip-hop artist seemed convinced, sending the coach and his 8-year-old son some gifts, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

In a May podcast, former NFL quarterback Chris Simms said that Lil Wayne is a favorite of the coach, “so he named his little boy Carter.”

Shanahan heard from 49ers wide receiver Pierre Garcon that Lil Wayne had heard about his namesake -- the rapper’s given name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr. -- and as San Francisco opened training camp, Garcon had a package for the coach, ESPN reported.

The swag included an autographed poster and copy of the CD “The Carter IV” for Shanahan, and a signed poster and copy of “The Carter III” for Carter Shanahan.

"Mine has the cuss words, the one he gave to my son was edited," said Shanahan, who is a fan of rap music. "That was very thoughtful, so I can actually play it for my son. It was pretty neat. He was pumped. I showed him when I got home. He still doesn't know how cool it actually is."

Paul McCartney returns to roots with performance at Cavern Club

Paul McCartney still believes in yesterday.

>> Read more trending news

The former Beatles singer, songwriter and bass player returned to his rock ’n’ roll roots Thursday, playing at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. The club, site of nearly 300 performances by the band during the early 1960s, is no longer at the Mathew Street site where it opened as a jazz club in 1957, closing in 1973. However, Thursday’s 2 p.m. show was played in a venue near the original location, and McCartney announced the gig on his website Thursday morning. 

The performance comes days after McCartney, 76, walked across the crosswalk made famous by the Beatles’ 1969 album, “Abbey Road.” The singer will be going on tour and will return to Liverpool in December, The Guardian reported.

According to author Bob Spitz’s 2005 book, “The Beatles: The Biography,” John Lennon and Paul McCartney, as members of the Quarrymen, played “a skiffle interlude” at the Cavern in 1957. The Beatles’ formal debut at the club occurred Feb. 9, 1961, and the group made 292 appearances at the club. Their final appearance was Aug. 3, 1963, six months before the group’s first trip to the United States.

The club reopened in 1984, rebuilt with many of the original bricks, The Guardian reported. It was McCartney’s second appearance at the new site; he performed in 1999 at the club, the newspaper reported.

Thursday, McCartney played 28 songs before a crowd of approximately 250 people, the BBC reported.

“Coming back here is pretty amazing for me," McCartney told the audience.

McCartney began his set by reworking the lyrics from the song “Michelle,” the BBC reported.

"Liverpool! Cavern! These are words that go together well," he sang.

Then McCartney sang “Twenty Flight Rock,” the Eddie Cochran song "that got me in The Beatles.” McCartney sang the song when he auditioned for Lennon in 1957.

Halfway through the number, McCartney stopped and admonished some audience members for taking photos and recording the concert on their telephones, the BBC reported.

"I think you've all been told not to take photos," he said. "And you're taking them, and you're taking them, and I don't want to get put off, and you're putting me off."

When McCartney resumed, he played songs from his Beatles career, including “Magical Mystery Tour,” “All My Loving,” “Love Me Do,” “Lady Madonna,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” and “Get Back.” From his solo career, he played hits like “Jet,” “Band on the Run,” and “Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five.”

McCartney also played four songs from his upcoming “Egypt Station” album, Billboard reported, including “Come On to Me” and “Confidante.”

He ended the two-hour concert with a Beatles number, “Helter Skelter.”

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >