Now Playing
106.1 BLI

crime & law

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Scam alert: Fake Netflix email seeks payment info, personal data

Beware, Netflix customers: Scammers are trying to get your personal information using a realistic-looking email that falsely claims to be from the streaming service.

>> Scam alert: Fake Amazon email targets online shoppers

Ohio's Solon Police Department took to Facebook earlier this month to warn subscribers of the phishing scam, an email that asks recipients to update their payment information.

"We're having some trouble with your current billing information," reads the email. "We'll try again, but in the meantime you may want to update your payment details."

>> See a screenshot here

Police explained that "criminals want you to click the links, so that you voluntarily give your personal identifying information away."

"It is very successful," the Police Department's Facebook post said. "Don't put your guard down. Contact the source of the email by another method that you trust, to make sure your accounts are maintained. Don't click the links. The links could also be a way to install malware on your computer."

>> Read more trending news 

Other versions of the scam email are also making the rounds. Check out some of them below:

Customers should "never enter [their] login or financial details after following a link in an email or text message," Netflix says on its website, adding that customers should "never click on any links or open any attachments" in an unexpected message. Read more tips here.

To report a suspicious email to Netflix, click here.

Teacher stole student's violin to pay $700 ticket, police say

A Georgia teacher is facing charges after surveillance video captured him stealing a violin from one of his students, police say.

>> Watch the news report here

Police in DeKalb County told WSB-TV's Michael Seiden that the teacher offered a full confession.

Investigators said Brockett Elementary School teacher Kalif Jones, 21, made his move while students were eating lunch in the cafeteria.

Days later, he ended up confessing to the crime after learning that security cameras recorded the entire incident, police said.

“Oh, my God. That’s not fair. That’s not right at all,” concerned parent Linda Kessie told Seiden. “I think it’s despicable and embarrassing, to say the least."

The criminal investigation began in late November after a 9-year-old student came home from school without his instrument. The violin is valued at $750.

Police said the child’s mother became concerned and reported it stolen to the school’s principal.Administrators at Brockett Elementary reviewed surveillance video that showed the teacher committing the unthinkable.

According to an incident report, the video showed Jones stealing the instrument from the cafeteria. It also showed Jones walking through the school with the violin case in hand before leaving with it. 

>> Read more trending news 

“I think it’s really terrible that a teacher would take advantage of a situation,” Kessie said.

Police arrested Jones after they say he confessed to the crime, admitting that he stole the violin because he had recently received a $700 ticket and needed some money to help pay for it.

When Seiden stopped by his home Friday night to get his side of the story, an unidentified man, possibly the teacher’s father, answered the door. 

When Seiden asked the man for a comment about this story, he just walked away. 

Seiden contacted DeKalb County Schools for a comment about this story, but he said no one responded to his request. 

He also contacted the victim’s mother, but she declined an on-camera interview. She told Seiden that the violin has since been recovered by police, and they are now waiting to get it back. 

World War II vet, 92, robbed at gunpoint at retirement home

A 92-year-old World War II veteran was robbed at gunpoint Thursday at his Louisiana retirement home, WDSU reported. The thief escaped with cash and medications, the television station reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Police in Slidell said the suspect entered the Lafittes Landing retirement community and knocked on the victim’s front door. 

When the victim opened his door, police said the suspect took out a gun and forced his way into the home, taking cash, medication and his car keys. The suspect stole the victim’s 2006 black Chevrolet Malibu and fled, WVUE reported.

The suspect was caught on a nearby surveillance camera, police said.

California man charged with murder in shooting death of librarian

A California man accused of fatally shooting a Sacramento librarian was charged with murder Friday, the Sacramento Bee reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Ronald Seay, 56, was arrested Wednesday in the death of Amber Clark, 41, who was sitting in her car Tuesday night when she was killed in the parking lot of the North Natomas Public Library, KCRA reported.

Detectives said they believe Clark was targeted and are investigating the motive for the shooting, department spokesman Sgt. Vance Chandler told the Bee.

Seay was arrested Wednesday at 5:30 a.m. in Natomas after a slow-speed vehicle chase, Chandler told the newspaper.

According to police, Clark was sitting in her car when Seay, who was wearing a mask, allegedly shot her in the face and head, KCRA reported.

Chandler said multiple weapons were recovered during the investigation of Seay, but he could not confirm whether the weapon used to kill Clark had been recovered, the Bee reported.

Minnesota man assaults 2 teachers at community college, police say

A Minnesota man is accused of assaulting two instructors at a Bloomington community college, KARE reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Gavin Hutson, 21, faces one count of third-degree assault, two counts of misdemeanor fifth-degree assault and a gross misdemeanor charge of carrying a pistol without a permit, KSTP reported, citing a report from the Hennepin County Attorney's Office.

Authorities said the incident occurred after Harrington’s teacher at Normandale Community College asked him to stay after class to discuss an inappropriate remark he allegedly made to another student, KARE reported.

According to prosecutors, Hutson hit the 51-year-old instructor and continued to punch her after she collapsed unconscious to the ground, the television station reported. She suffered two broken bones in her face, KSTP reported. 

When another teacher tried to intervene, Hutson allegedly hit him, causing a cut to the man’s forehead, KARE reported.

Hutson allegedly pushed another student as he ran out of the school, KSTP reported. Hutson left his backpack in the classroom when he fled, and police found a loaded semi-automatic pistol with additional ammunition inside of it, the television station reported.

Man spray-paints 'cocaine' at historic Bourbon Street locations

A 45-year-old Louisiana man is accused of spray painting the word “cocaine” in several areas of New Orleans’ historic Bourbon Street district, the Times-Picayune reported.

According to New Orleans police, Sean Harrington was caught on surveillance cameras spray painting the words early on Dec. 3, including on the doors of a historic building on Bourbon Street, the newspaper reported. Harrington also was wearing a shirt with the word “cocaine” spray-painted on it, along with a hat that had a stickers reading “cocaine,” WVUE reported.

Police said surveillance cameras caught Harrington also defacing the ground on Bourbon and St. Louis streets, the Times-Picayune reported.

Harrington faces two counts of criminal damage to property of a value less than $500 and one count of criminal damage to a historic building or landmark, the newspaper reported.

Watch: Thief struggles to steal huge TV

This thief should get points for not giving up.

>> Read more trending news 

Surveillance video released by Maryland police showed a man struggling to steal a large 4K television set on Nov. 29, WBAL reported.

According to the Prince George's County police blog, the man grabs a large box at a residence in Fort Washington. As he hustles back to his car, the man stumbles and falls over.

The man regains his footing and tries to jam the unwieldy box into the trunk of his car. “He repeatedly tries to fit the box in his awaiting getaway car,” the police wrote in the blog.

After several attempts, the man manages to fit the television set into the back seat of his car and drives away, WBAL reported. The back door remained open as the man made his getaway, the television station reported.

There is no word whether the television set was in working order after the ordeal.

Florida mom served by teen at meat counter who later was charged in son's murder

A Florida woman discovered that a clerk who served her at a Tampa meat market last month is the man accused of murdering her son, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Tara Jones was wearing two laminated images of her 18-year-old son, TeSean “Bama” Blue, who was shot to death in Tampa on Sept. 3 while riding his bicycle, when she went to the Meat Depot Supermarket on Nov. 29, the newspaper reported.

The clerk was looking at the photos and asked what happened.

"I said he was shot for no reason, and he looks at me in my face and says, 'I'm sorry for your loss, ma'am,'” Jones told the Times. "I didn't know he was the one who murdered my son."

On Dec. 4, Tampa police charged Misael Andrew Mora, 18, with second-degree murder with a firearm.

According to an arrest report, a witness told police that Blue bicycled to Mora on a Tampa street, the Times reported. As he rode away, Mora allegedly shot Blue with a .38-caliber pistol.

Blue was taken to a hospital but died from his injuries, WTSP reported.

Mora was arrested Dec. 4 on a probation violation from a  2016 arrest on charges of robbery and battery of a person over 65. During his interview with detectives, Mora admitted to the shooting, the newspaper reported, citing the arrest report.

"Mora stated that he met the victim's mother several days after the murder at his job and he talked with her briefly," the report said. "Mora advised that incident made him feel remorse for what he did."

The detective handling Mora’s case, Neal Smith, then called Jones and asked if she remembered talking with the meat market clerk, and she said yes, the Times reported.

"He said, 'The guy who helped you is the guy that murdered your son.' And I just lost it,” Jones told the newspaper.

Mora is now in the Hillsoborough County Jail, WTSP reported. If convicted, Mora could face life in prison, the Times reported.

"I lost a lot of my faith," Jones told the newspaper. “But I'm gradually getting it back."

Report: Man who fatally stabbed brother 93 times in 2013 found ‘irrestorably incompetent’

Two New Orleans psychiatrists have found a man who stabbed his brother 93 times before placing his body under a burning mattress in 2013 “irrestorably incompetent” to stand trial and recommended he be committed to a psychiatric hospital. 

Ian Broyard, 27, is accused of murder and tampering with evidence in the Nov. 6, 2013, stabbing death of 23-year-old Michael Broyard III, NOLA.com reported. Ian Broyard was 22 at the time of the crime. 

Michael Broyard, a tattoo artist, was working on a degree in social work at Southern University at New Orleans.

>> Read more trending news

The New Orleans Advocate reported in July 2014, when Broyard was indicted, that the brothers had been in several fights prior to the killing. Their sister arrived at the family home in the Gentilly section of New Orleans the morning of the stabbing to see smoke coming from the front door. 

Firefighters found Michael Broyard dead inside but there was no sign of Ian Broyard, who had been home shortly before the fire broke out, the Advocate reported. While police officers and firefighters worked the scene, Ian Broyard showed up, with cuts on his forearms and holding his stomach in pain, the newspaper said. 

A witness told police he saw a man, who was riding away from the Broyard home on a bicycle, toss something into a trash can nearby. Investigators found a bloodstained vest constructed out of book covers taped together. 

The DNA from the blood on the vest matched that of Michael Broyard, the Advocate reported. Other DNA and fingerprints recovered from the vest matched Ian Broyard, NOLA.com said

NOLA.com reported that Ian Broyard was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic in June 2013, just five months before his brother’s brutal slaying. Broyard’s arrest warrant indicated that he sometimes became violent.

Broyard was initially found competent to stand trial in August 2014 but was found incompetent during another hearing almost three years later, the news site said. He was sent to Eastern Louisiana Mental Health System in June 2017 and has been there since. 

Two of the members of the court-appointed sanity panel who examined Broyard have found it unlikely that Broyard will ever become competent to stand trial for his brother’s slaying. NOLA.com reported that Dr. Sarah DeLand testified Thursday that Broyard, who suffers from delusions and auditory hallucinations, would be unable to assist his lawyer at trial.

Broyard believes that the IRS and the FBI control him and those around him, DeLand said in court. He also believes that the federal agencies could influence his case based on his outstanding student loans. 

A judge will decide next week if Broyard will be committed indefinitely, NOLA said

Investigators said during Broyard’s March 2014 preliminary hearing that it was possible he was connected to a second slaying 10 months before that of his brother. NOLA.com reported that a homicide detective testified at the hearing that Broyard was related to Edward Richardson, an 83-year-old retiree who was found stabbed to death New Year’s Day 2013 in his apartment at a senior living community. 

Like Michael Broyard, Richardson was found stabbed an excessive number of times -- more than 50 -- and his body was under a mattress that had been set on fire, NOLA.com reported in 2014. No physical evidence linked Ian Broyard to the scene. 

WDSU in New Orleans reported in 2015 that cold case investigators were still seeking leads in the unsolved case. 

7-year-old Guatemalan migrant dies of dehydration, shock in Border Patrol custody

A 7-year-old Guatemalan girl taken into custody by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents last week died two days later of dehydration and septic shock, putting further scrutiny on the conditions of detention facilities at the border. 

The girl and her father were taken into custody around 10 p.m. Dec. 6, accused of illegally crossing into the United States, Border Patrol officials told The Washington Post. The group of 163 people approached CBP agents south of Lordsburg, New Mexico, to turn themselves in. 

The Associated Press reported that an official with Guatemala’s foreign ministry identified the girl as Jackeline Caal. Her father was identified as Nery Caal, 29, of Raxruha, a town in the northern Guatemalan department of Alta Verapaz. 

Ministry officials told the AP that Jackeline was feverish and vomiting as she and the other migrants were being taken to the Border Patrol station in Lordsburg. 

Around 6:25 a.m. the next day, the girl began having seizures, according to CBP records obtained by the Post. Paramedics who responded to the detention center found her temperature to be 105.7 degrees. 

The girl reportedly had not eaten or had water in several days, the Post said. Migrants taken into custody are typically given food and water, but it was not known Thursday if the girl had received nourishment or medical care before her seizures began. 

She was taken by helicopter to Providence Children’s Hospital in El Paso, where she went into cardiac arrest, but was revived temporarily. The girl died Saturday morning, less than 24 hours after being taken to the hospital. 

The Post reported that an initial diagnosis by doctors at the hospital indicated the girl died of septic shock, dehydration and a high fever. An autopsy is scheduled, but it could be weeks before the results are available. 

Jackeline’s father remains in custody.

Andrew Meehan, a CBP spokesman, told the newspaper that the agency sends its “sincerest condolences” to the girl’s family. 

“Border Patrol agents took every possible step to save the child’s life under the most trying of circumstances,” Meehan said. “As fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, we empathize with the loss of any child.”

The ACLU Border Rights Center issued a statement Thursday, stating that a lack of accountability and a “culture of cruelty” within the Border Patrol have worsened policies and led to migrant deaths. 

“This tragedy represents the worst possible outcome when people, including children, are held in inhumane conditions,” the statement read

The organization said that President Donald Trump’s militarization of the border has driven desperate migrants fleeing violence in their native countries into the harshest, deadliest deserts along the U.S.-Mexico border. 

“The fact that it took a week for this to come to light shows the need for transparency for CBP,” the statement read. “We call for a rigorous investigation into how this tragedy happened and serious reforms to prevent future deaths.”

The Post reported that the number of arrests of migrants traveling as families has exploded this year. November saw a record number of “family unit members” -- 25,172, which accounted for 58 percent of the migrants taken into custody last month. 

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan testified Tuesday before the Senate about the holding cells used to house migrants. McAleenan called the cells “incompatible” with the large groups of families coming to the border seeking asylum. 

“Our Border Patrol stations were built decades ago to handle mostly male single adults in custody, not families and children,” McAleenan testified, according to the Post

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!