A memorial for the victims of the shooting at Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church includes 26 white chairs, each painted with a cross and and rose, is displayed in the church Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017, in Sutherland Springs, Texas. A man opened fire inside the church in the small South Texas community last week, killing more than two dozen. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)
The San Antonio Express-News reported that the claim could be the first step in a lawsuit against the Air Force if the service denies responsibility for the attack, in which former Air Force member Devin Patrick Kelley killed 26 people and injured 20 others.
Among the dead were nine members of the Holcombe family: Karla; Bryan; Crystal, who was pregnant; and five others.
Christopher Foster, a family friend, set up an online fundraising account shortly after the shooting to raise money for the surviving family members.
“It’s going to take a lot of funds to cover eight funerals, lost wages, perhaps child/adult counseling, and who knows what else,” Foster said in a Facebook message at the time. “No matter what number the (fundraiser) reaches, it will never be enough. But everything helps.”
Kelley had been convicted of domestic violence while in the Air Force and was discharged from the service.
That conviction should have prevented him from owning, possessing or purchasing weapons, but the Air Force admitted shortly after the incident that the conviction was not reported to the proper authorities.
The Associated Press on Tuesday reported that the Air Force said its failure to report Kelley’s criminal history was part of a pattern of such lapses.